What We Do
DHIC, Inc. is the Triangle area's oldest and largest non-profit housing organization.
Our mission is to:
- Strengthen neighborhoods and families by offering expanded homeownership opportunities
- Provide quality affordable rental housing for families, seniors and other individuals with limited incomes
- Enhance the economic well being of residents of DHIC communities and low-wealth neighborhoods
Since 1974, we have built or renovated more than 1,500 affordable rental homes and 400 homes for sale, and served thousands of individuals and families with housing and other supportive services.
DHIC Has Something For Everyone
- Affordable apartment communities that are known for their quality design, construction, and maintenance.
- Homeownership Center services that prepare aspiring homebuyers for the mortgage and purchase process and the responsibilities of owning and maintaining a home.
- Resident Services that provide tools, training and links to community resources and social services, helping DHIC's residents to enjoy a more stable, safe and nurturing living environment.
- While currently not a large part of our work, we have developed several award-winning homeownership communities, and from time to time partner with quality private developers to ensure affordable opportunities are available in the Triangle.
Award Winning Service to the Community
- Winner of the 2012 City of Raleigh Environmental Award for Pioneering Efforts
- Winner of the 2011 Triangle Business Journal's Green Multifamily Award
- Seven time recipient of City of Raleigh's Sir Walter Award for Community Appearance (Meadowcreek Commons, Jeffries Ridge, Murphey School, Parkworth, Prairie Building, and Lennox Chase)
- Two Triangle Development Awards from Triangle J Council of Governments (Jeffries Ridge and Murphey School)
- Four Housing North Carolina Awards from the North Carolina Housing Finance Agency (Jeffries Ridge, Tryon Grove, Madison Glen, Lennox Chase)
- Charles L. Edson Award from the Affordable Housing Tax Credit Coalition for Lennox Chase
- Builders Choice Award from Builder Magazine for Parkworth community
- Partnership Excellence Award from the Federal Home Loan Bank of Atlanta
- Four Champion Awards from Triangle Commercial Real Estate Women (2001, 2003, 2007, 2008)
- Imprint Award from the Downtown Raleigh Alliance for Carlton Place